Friday, March 11, 2011

"They will know you're Christian by your love"

As you may have noticed from my blog title or my first post, I'm a little obsessed with love. I'm not necessarily obsessed with love in the romantic way, although I am thankful and blessed to be in love with someone today, but I'm obsessed with learning about it and how to share it to everyone I meet. I'm reading "The 5 Love Languages" by Gary Chapman (Of course I picked up the copy for married couples - oops!) but I have become a little preoccupied with learning people's love languages and learning how to speak their languages and "dialect." My top love languages are tied with words of affirmation and physical touch, but I have learned that my friends all have different love languages, and somehow, I am able to love them all :)

Anyways, I went to WinterJam today, a Christian tour with bands I wasn't really familiar. While the lead singer of Newsboys was talking, he stated that his father taught him a lesson when he was little. He said that his Dad told him that people won't know you're Christian by the money in your wallet or the type of house you have, but by your love. For some reason this really resonated with me. To put it lightly, I've kind of had a bad year. As it entered it's last painful turn before some healing began but emotionally and spiritually, I think it would have been very difficult to tell I was Christian. Now, I feel a strong calling to love the loved and unloved, the Christian and the lost, the poor and the rich, etc. and feel that desire can be felt by others when they're around me (partially because that's what I've been told, ha!) While I didn't have a father around to teach me such an important lesson, I have an Almighty Father who brought me to WinterJam to hear that message.

And, I leave you with a quote about love from an awesome show:
"I even love you more than Turk." -JD to Elliott on "Scrubs"

No comments:

Post a Comment